Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

General forum for chat and banter.
Guderian

Re: Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

Post by Guderian »

We've always needed a more imaginative system for establishing where we have scans. I'll leave it to someone else to come up with it though.
Flint

Post by Flint »

An unimaginative suggestion would be only being able to see into sectors you have ships in, and sectors adjacent to those... so you'd always know what was right next to your HW, but the other side of the map would be a bit mysterious usually. Might be a good balance between the old strictly limited scans and the new omnipresent scans. But not imaginative.
Clementus

Post by Clementus »

Or we could make "cloakers" into more like scouts. So you can see into every sector you have a ship in but due to Scouts added "exploration drones" you see an added sector from each scout ship and from your HW.

As it is it is far too powerful and this would be hopefully be a nice compromise.
Fwiffo

Post by Fwiffo »

I thought the old system was fine, I don't think it needs any changing.
Arch

Post by Arch »

The old system would definitely be a good starting point.

Innovation isn't always a bad thing though and it may improve the meta-game if implemented correctly. It may be interesting to give the LC a pair of "scout drones" they could move around the map. Invisible to any scans, can one sector per turn, acting like a ship in that sector (per the old system). Really puts value in that position and allows for high level strategy without making fleet movements completely known.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Arch wrote:The old system would definitely be a good starting point.

Innovation isn't always a bad thing though and it may improve the meta-game if implemented correctly. It may be interesting to give the LC a pair of "scout drones" they could move around the map. Invisible to any scans, can one sector per turn, acting like a ship in that sector (per the old system). Really puts value in that position and allows for high level strategy without making fleet movements completely known.
A good idea on paper but without the drones being visible the LCs would just move them to the enemy fleets and then keep them with the fleets so they know where the other 2 legions where at and in what strength.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I loved the old system.

Reminds me of the time we were doing an invasion along the Sub-Delta quadrant. Solar winds were getting bad and cutting into our sector probes. We were flying blind. Dixi screamed to go on, but we all knew it would be bad. Bad I tell you. When we arrived at our destination, we were mauled. To this day, when a Bor wants to begin a new task, we just say "Let's dixi it" Ah, old times.

Anyway, yeah, I liked the old system. Fog of war. Was great. Made the game more strategic. Coding will suck, but hey, I won't be doing it. :ugeek:
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

What's a meta-game? :-P

I prefer to not have full scans too. It leaves you in the dark about the other legion's movements, and makes tactics more difficult. Now it's just checking out which legion goes to bomb which HW, and then moving on to the empty HW (or defend your own HW). Gets boring pretty fast, imho.
calundra
Developer / Administrator

Post by calundra »

Scans have changed, might change them again not sure yet, I felt this was a good start.
Clementus

Post by Clementus »

As they are now is funky.