Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

General forum for chat and banter.
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Re: Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

Post by ecvej »

An option to set your timezone now appears in game on the account page. Setting this puts the legion news and comms time in your local time. This setting won't persist between games at the moment but this will be a forthcoming feature.

I have plans to allow things in comms such as "jump at [time]7:05PM[/time]" and it will convert for everyone but that's a little way off.

When phpbb get their act together and implement timezones / DST properly I intergrate the systems but at the moment their code is inadequate hence the reason for adding this.

Now before people ask it's not possible to put the sleep ticks in local time as your local time will not always be the same number of hours different from the server. What I could do is list approx local times but if someone has a good idea re this please post.
Boris

Post by Boris »

May I just boast that I was the first pilot to upload an Avatar, after ecvej himself? :)
I had the same probs that Scyza reported above, but somehow stumbled through them...

Note that I'm using my really, really old (doesn't it just look it?) Boris/Wrath logo - which is probably why Legion keeps shooting me ;)

B.
Boris the B@$[@+&
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

New comms features if you type a message in the following format:
Jump to X t127 <-- hover mouse over and it will display in your local timezone when that tick starts.

Jump to Y tick 128 <-- as above but different based on the word "tick" rather than the abbreviation "t".

Shoot Z at t129+43 <-- For coordinating attacks at odd times in the tick. Hover over and it will display the time in your timezone.
Also in place is [time]1340746052[/time] for those people that know unix time stamps. This feature is half implemented and it'll be possible to type in human readable format soon.

Also I'm considering if t+x and t-x should be parsed (i.e. interpreted based on the tick the comm is sent and displayed as like some of the above examples).

Please test by and try to break by posting in dodgy formats etc

PS you can set your timezone in the game on the account page.
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

You can now specify human readable times in your comms that will be interpreted in the local timezone for all users. Just type the time / date you want to appear in the comm between [time] bbcodes. Some examples are below.

[time]10:30 am[/time] <-- times without a date specified will default to that time today.
[time]tomorrow 9:30[/time] <--- see note below.
[time]+5 minutes[/time] <-- adds a time for 5 minutes after you send the comm.

You can consult http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.php if you want more detail on the formats you can use.

Note: Words are interpreted from left to right, meaning "tomorrow 9:30" first sets the date to tomorrow without a time (i.e. defaults to midnight) and then the time to 9:30 as you would expect. However, reversing the terms to "9:30 tomorrow" first sets the time to 9:30 today and then the tomorrow command sets the date to tomorrow without a time (i.e. the result is midnight tomorrow which is not what you'd expect). Not how I would have written the code but that's what the good people at PHP have done.

Please test in your messages.
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Stats for taras are back http://www.violetsector.com/taras/
DSniper

Post by DSniper »

Noticing an issue with the NCF. When you click on a sector to hyper to, it logs you out. Once you log back in it will let you hyper. I did this right after logging in to insure it just wasn't timing out. This was in Chrome. I will try another browser when i have the chance.
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Please use the http://www.violetsector.com/ url to avoid this

The old tvsgames and tvsonline urls can't be implemented with the flash map atm.
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Changing some things round. If buttons etc look odd please refresh or clear your cache which should resolve graphical glitches. If anything doesn't function any more please report as a bug.
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

ecvej wrote:You can now specify human readable times in your comms that will be interpreted in the local timezone for all users. Just type the time / date you want to appear in the comm between [time] bbcodes. Some examples are below.

[time]10:30 am[/time] <-- times without a date specified will default to that time today.
[time]tomorrow 9:30[/time] <--- see note below.
[time]+5 minutes[/time] <-- adds a time for 5 minutes after you send the comm.

You can consult http://www.php.net/manual/en/datetime.formats.php if you want more detail on the formats you can use.

Note: Words are interpreted from left to right, meaning "tomorrow 9:30" first sets the date to tomorrow without a time (i.e. defaults to midnight) and then the time to 9:30 as you would expect. However, reversing the terms to "9:30 tomorrow" first sets the time to 9:30 today and then the tomorrow command sets the date to tomorrow without a time (i.e. the result is midnight tomorrow which is not what you'd expect). Not how I would have written the code but that's what the good people at PHP have done.

Please test in your messages.
I'd have expected the time zone feature in the sleep or vacation settings before going as fancy as you mentioned above ;-)
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

ecvej wrote:Now before people ask it's not possible to put the sleep ticks in local time as your local time will not always be the same number of hours different from the server. What I could do is list approx local times but if someone has a good idea re this please post.
I knew someone would ask :P Any ideas on a good way to make it work? Best idea I've had is to show sleep tick times in the user's timezone and then warn them of the date either the UK changes its GMT offset or the date their local timezone changes, whichever is first.