Self rep VS pickups

General forum for chat and banter.
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Self rep VS pickups

Post by ecvej »

I waited a few ticks to post this so it wouldn't be game sensitive. Below is my legion's news set by Leggy.
LN update by Legion: T38 Repair repair repair Good work in Tibrar ppl. Now lets get repaired ASAP (Self reps are faster then Pu's) Then go kick some more alien backside ;-)
So, is he right or wrong, or does it depend on the circumstances?

If anyone can answer the question correctly (and in enough detail) I will award them an in game prize. Probably 10k points or something else if there's a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np6gyUb0E7o
Legion

Re: Self rep VS pickups

Post by Legion »

I say Self reps as you only have 1 in 8 chance each move of getting a half max, where as you can self rep 750hp a turn. in the time it takes looking for a HMR you can self rep to max. example for me was in the Frantic 8 turns before I got a HMR where as I could have self repaired 6000HP in that time.

My normal prefrence is 4 self reps (600HP) and try one pick up for a HMR.
DarthBrooks

Post by DarthBrooks »

I think its circumstantial.

I did not know about the 1 in 8 chance btw Legion :p

Ok at lvl 1 your max health is 2000 so in 1 turn you can repair 750 of that which is less than 3 turns to max health guaranteed
at lvl 2 your health is 4000 so ofcourse you can rep 750 again per turn, 5 turns to max health from very little health.
at lvl 3 its 6000 and 750, 8 turns from little health to max. this is a whole day and can be tedious so i begin to think pu's are better
and ofcourse lvl 4 and 5 take longer.

cirumstances change depending on a few things
how much health you have, if you have over 1/2 health then pus are pointless ofcourse.
also if you are in battle use 2 pus to begin with can save your life if targetted eot sot, invuls and 1/2 max are great here.
if you have reppers helping you out while not in battle, then its as you wish, but let them rep you a bit because 1/2 max can steal valuable points from your team.
carriers and cruisers have beastly reps. so good to do that unless your in real danger then pus are best.
if your not a cruiser or carrier then obviously jump in a carrier and self rep if in a danger area.

These are my thoughts anyway and im sure ive missed out circumstances that appear. but maybe this can help some peeps :)
Aftermath

Post by Aftermath »

That's kind a loaded question ecvej. Which one is faster would depend entirely on whether or not you get the hmr or not which is a probability factor. I personally feel self reps are a better way to go in the long run, (especially if you have active reppers at your disposal), but as Brooks said, there are situations that call for taking the chance. For instance: If you're in a hostile sector and you know you're going to die otherwise, if you're cloaked and going for free or triples, or your legion has minimal rep support and you're well below half health anyway.
Zypher
Administrator

Post by Zypher »

i think i know the answer but as a admin i dont think its fair ;)
Guderian

Post by Guderian »

Gambling is more fun. Self-reps are for bores. :-)
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

DB had the best of a bad bunch of answers. I will post a more detailed answer at some point on the wiki. I think some of you will be surprised by how complicated the solution is!
faulcon

Post by faulcon »

You actually gave him 10k points in game for what anyone who has played the game for long enough to get a capital ship should know as common sense? Well I guess I don't have a problem with that so long as you make it 85k just for him to get a carrier :P
TIMMEH

Post by TIMMEH »

TVS just hit an all time low...
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

I was hoping you guys would be motivated to write something detailed enough I can copy and paste into the wiki which was my motivation. Also I mentioned the points in the first post and asked if anyone had a better idea and noone objected :(