balancing legions

Suggest and discuss new ideas or ways we can improve the game.
iceblink

balancing legions

Post by iceblink »

for some reason us jax have 12 'active' players (score >0) and bors have 21

now i know it's difficult to get the balancing right, so i had an idea

why not increase the firepower (and rep power) according to the number of active players in a legion?
it makes balancing legions a lot easier and quicker, and this can also help a legion deal with many players going into vac

to prevent eternal battles, or invincible survivors, all level3 and higher should be counted as equal, and 'the force' will disappear if a player rogues or if a hw is blown up
ailill

Re: balancing legions

Post by ailill »

this is very true =[
we need some sort of balancing people are moaning about how this is why they stopped playing =[
SpiderWolve

Post by SpiderWolve »

iceblink wrote:for some reason us jax have 12 'active' players (score >0) and bors have 21

Would like to point out this is a re-occurring problem. With the same legions as well.
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

True Spidey, for some reason jax often start out bad and bors start out good
Zypher
Administrator

Post by Zypher »

it prob has to do with most of the time a pilot will be that legion im hardly Jaxs and i consider myself very active. maybe there is something going on that some people are getting the same legion which would mean that if there not very active is going to keep happening. i think there needs to be something like a Draft of all pilots. maybe everyone logs in and then there is a Team Captain button.

now you dont auto get to be captain but maybe if there are like 16 pilots that would be Captain then 4 are randomly selected to be on a legion then from the rest of the pilots that have logged in they *draft pilots. would be interesting just to test out.
Fwiffo

Post by Fwiffo »

While balancing legions is important, I think the new cloaker change will make being on a bad legion vastly more enjoyable. Not being able to track their movement opens up all kinds of new possibilities, and most of the fun ones are only doable by a half squad of actives without other responsibilities (moving with a blob of non-cloakers). I'm kind of hoping my next legion goes down in flames so I can start trying them out. :P
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

Nice idea, but i don't think it will help. Even if you can't have >10 ships in a sector, you will still be much stronger, and be able to exchange ships during a fight, or have the 2nd squad attack a fallback sector.

What it probably will do, is make it harder to destroy a home world, possibly dragging out the game unnecessarily.

@Fwiffo: I don't see how that helps, because you cannot just change your ship after noticing your legion isn't very active. You could go for a mass suicide, but then your legion is even weaker than before. While trying to level up the new cloakers, the other ships are pretty much free game.

Just my $0.03... I hope others will give their opinions as well.
Fwiffo

Post by Fwiffo »

I'd expect more people to start picking them from the start. And if your legion ends up in as bad a position as the Jax were this game, most of the non-cloakers will end up dying without having to suicide.
Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth »

Balancing defo is an issue.

Krills now have 6-7? players more than the bors. Its kinda weird how it distributes the players.

Increasing the weaker legions fire power is an option.. but it doesnt increase their activity. And that is always the issue between legions. Whats the point of being tougher, stronger and what not if you're not active?

If you give the less active legions a bonus, it has to be something which promotes activity. An option is to actually every beta set 4-8 captains (1-2 per team), who can draft players 1 after another from the signup pool. This means people should have a few days before the beta start to sign up. At a given point when the captains are on they can pick 8 buddies (making 1 squad). I dunno just trying to figure something out

The otherthing I notice is indeed that jax most often have the suckiest legion for some weird reason. Bors, tibs and krills all have their rounds of domination but jax seldomly.
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

Maybe giving non bombers the option to attack bases and maybe score half as much would help inactive legions. At least their actives could go off and bomb the HW of whoever is killing theirs.