Status bar and legion rankings - changes/improvements

Suggest and discuss new ideas or ways we can improve the game.
idontknow

Status bar and legion rankings - changes/improvements

Post by idontknow »

Hey,

Please ignore these points if they've been made before, I'm kind of tired right now and didn't have a thorough look at other threads so far...

- score status bar: to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of it at all. There are two reasons: one is that especially on higher resolution screens it's quite a way your eyes have to wander downwards to have a look at the stats. This might sound highly exaggerated but even on my laptop I find it kind of 'exhausting' to look all the way down when the other information are right up in the upper left corner. The second reason is the probably more objective one - at least Firefox uses these on-mouse-over-url-display-'bubbles' now on the lower right or left corner now instead of using a proper status bar in the default case. This hides part of the status bar which might cost crucial time as you keep hovering your mouse pointer over the menu and try to figure out what to do (scanner, navcom etc.). Again, not a major problem but it's been a constant annoyance for me.

Solution? If others like the status bar there's no need to remove it - however, have you considered putting the same information also directly below the menu on the left side? It shouldn't really change the look and feel but would make it easier to keep the most significant information in mind and sight at all times.

- Additionally, as just mentioned via comms - what about an implemented reminder of a changed order message? Like "new orders (tick/time)" in a similar fashion to "x new messages"? Ideally, this would also be mentioned below the menu according to what I've mentioned above.

- While I don't want the Bors to lose yellow as their main colour, it's rather awful to look at the legion ranking graph with the white background and try to figure out where the yellow line is :) I think the easiest solution could be to chose a grey background (with only rogues having to get their colour changed) or put a black border around all the lines or so... I'm sure you're much more into the technical possibilities.

- Last but not least: an overview about the autopilot actions on the main screen would be nice

This is all I can think of with regard to possible changes/improvements. Thanks for having done a great job for a long time already :)
idontknow

Re: Status bar and legion rankings - changes/improvements

Post by idontknow »

Ohh, one more, I've only realised after having left the British time zone: What about adding the server time next to/below the current turn display? The order window shows the BST change time but I haven't found the current server time anywhere else but the account settings.
idontknow

Post by idontknow »

Sorry for bumping this thread but especially the 'status bar' issue keeps driving me nuts. It's not only a matter related to Firefox but also to Chrome as well as to Opera on my phone. There's just too many browser 'features' using this space on the bottom of a website in a flexible way.

For a visual explanation of what I mean, click here: http://imageshack.us/f/577/tvsstatusbar.jpg/.
whykt

Post by whykt »

Autopilot confirmation on the front page is a great idea.

Status bar information I think I'm used to because it's always been down there. Goes into awkward positions on the IPhone and iPad but I've gotten used to it now.
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

Yes... i've been thinking about something like this: (pardon my limited Gimp abilities)
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

I've half done a menu below the current menu for hp/score etc that looks pretty similar. I didn't have LN in it though.
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

well it would be okay to have only the stats in there, but i took it a step further :-)
whykt

Post by whykt »

I like the stats but LN wouldn't work for long orders.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

whykt wrote:I like the stats but LN wouldn't work for long orders.
Then stop being so verbose. People on phones like short and sweet. :P
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

I was thinking that the fist xx characters could be in the stats column, and then if you click on that region you would get to see the full orders.
It's not badly needed though, other things should have more priority. And i don't want this to hold back developments to get the bottom bar in the left column. It's just a wild idea :-)