temp fix 4 bombers

Suggest and discuss new ideas or ways we can improve the game.
LoB

Re: temp fix 4 bombers

Post by LoB »

It should be back to the old formula now.
What is the old formula?
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

Broadly, a bomber with 50/50 split between combat/piloting should score at the same rate as the set 100 per level.
Flint

Post by Flint »

It has long been an issue that bombers appear to gain points quicker than fighters, and the last round was no exception - I can't remember if any fighters made it to cruiser level, but if any did, it was the minority. A few cloakers made it to cruiser, and they took longer than the first wave of bombers, but the cloak button provides extra safety which I think balances them out.

My idea to make the game more balanced is that fighters be given an auto rep feature of +150 a tick. It's not a massive change and won't have much effect later in the game, and should be quite easy to put in.

The reason I think it would work is because it will mean that fighters will level quicker in the initial roids battle (and be less of a target), which should make them a more popular choice, and also a choice which tends to survive slightly better, which will then in turn hopefully lead to more ship v ship battles.

I think everyone agrees that there are too few big fights between legions that happen outside of bases, and I think this is because bombers are more or less as good as fighters in a dogfight, and with the advantage of being able to go off and bomb and abandoned base, whereas fighters have to chase around the map looking for targets that wont run away - which is much rarer, and more dangerous, hence why so few of them reach 75K points.

Making fighters noticeably better than all other ships in a 1 on 1 fight - especially in the early stages of the game - makes sense, and will encourage the best pilots to sometimes go for them rather than bombers (or cloakers), which are the obvious choice for active players that want cruisers.

What do you think?
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

I agree with the disadvantage that fighters have at the moment. I'm not sure whether your proposed solution will fix it, but it's worth a try imho :-)
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

Wow i chose a microw just now, and went to shoot a tib bunny in tibrar. Damage was absolutely crazy! I got something like 10x more damage on my own hull than on the enemy. After 5 shots I died. I'm not sure if this is due to any recent changes, but it seems excessive.
calundra
Developer / Administrator

Post by calundra »

If you take a ship with 0 in shields into an enemy homeworld, what do you expect?
JackBlackIV

Post by JackBlackIV »

How did YOU fit into a microw fighter?!
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

calundra wrote:If you take a ship with 0 in shields into an enemy homeworld, what do you expect?
I expect it to out-manoeuvre the PDS systems? :lol:
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

Can I just say that bombers did have less of an advantage this time round, though it did feel weird to gain more points by shooting other ships than by bombing?
It is a fix of sorts, but it would feel better if the fix was more in the fighting area than in the bombing area?