Base regen

Suggest and discuss new ideas or ways we can improve the game.
LoB

Base regen

Post by LoB »

I haven't played in a while and coming back noticed that base regen is very low, (100 per sector) and that scrap is non-existant (the one time i went to nsa it was on 100 and only generated another hundred in a turn). I'm sure some thought went into making it this way (perhaps to avoid 200k+ bases of yesteryear) but i feel that this added to perhaps not the most enjoyable state of affairs which this suggestion might help to change (Hoping to address the same issue as in my other topic, but from completely different angle). Please read to the end, or start from the last suggestion :)

I suggest making scrap an important part of the game.
Firstly make NSA generate significant amount of scrap, perhaps something like 500 (with a bit of random element) a turn for turns 50 to 500. With the following suggestions, it would make control of NSA highly desirable and perhaps we'd see battles to defend it, defend the route to it, ambush etc.(Might need to reduce scrap limit ship can carry)

Secondly, make base regen significantly faster, and perhaps tied to the current hp of the base. Something like 200 per sector + 0.4% of current hp. This would would quickly heal up the base if attackers leave discouraging tactics of flying around slowly nibbling at the bases and then have all three opponent bases at 50% when they go for the final assault (Actually next suggestion encourages exactly that tactic, but I hope it does so in a way which could be enjoyable). Also as regen is tied to current hp there's that extra reward to rep the planet.

By now you should laugh, and think that this makes base destruction impossible. So finally, have bases take permanent structural damage if they are significantly damaged. If the base is in yellow (<2/3 total hp) for 8 turns (or 6, or 4) it's max HP becomes 2/3 of the total hp. For attackers this gives some sort of checkpointing making taking the risk and staying that bit longer in enemy hw worthwile.

It's probably been suggested before, so give me courtesy and explain the reasons why it was decided to be a bad idea in the past, but i think with some tweaking it could be fairly major, but exciting change.

I'll post some example situations I hope this could create a bit later (need to make some calculations)
Jhyphi

Re: Base regen

Post by Jhyphi »

I think the problem why the Bors didn't stay to try to kill the bases is exactly the opposite problem.

Bases couldn't be destroyed that quickly. Making base regen even faster + more scrap doesn't solve anything except make bases be near full every time meaning it'd be even harder to kill bases. So the legions would wait till they had even more cruisers and an even bigger lead before attempting to kill it if it had to be done in 1 go and couldn't be split into a few different times. It wouldn't make teams stay in a base to try to kill it all at once while losing half the legion. It'd make people just run away and try to get even more points first before going for a kill.

The 2/3 or 1/3 example is kinda interesting twist on things. That would definitely make things different. Could be exciting. Though, would this make teams even more defensive to avoid even being hit to 2/3? So people sit around their base more = less action?
LoB

Re: Base regen

Post by LoB »

Well the 2/3rds is the key to this proposal. I feel it would encourage attacking for two reasons: firstly - it's easier to make your work count, rather than nibbling pointlessly, secondly not attacking for too long and you risk having a base with lots of HP and good regen making future attack difficultly. Ofcourse it works other way as well, and if you get attacked you'd have to rush back real fast, might mean that you spend more time in hyper space rather than having fun. But this might get balanced again by the fact that scrap matters so legions would tend to cluster closer to NSA and perhaps fight more often for control of nsa.