Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

General forum for chat and banter.
Arch

Re: Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

Post by Arch »

iceblink wrote:What's a meta-game? :-P

I prefer to not have full scans too. It leaves you in the dark about the other legion's movements, and makes tactics more difficult. Now it's just checking out which legion goes to bomb which HW, and then moving on to the empty HW (or defend your own HW). Gets boring pretty fast, imho.
Meta-game is mainly used in poker and other card games but it essentially refers to the high-level strategy of "thinking about what they're thinking that I'm thinking".

I think Urban Dictionary put it best (go figure):
Urban Dictionary wrote:metagame

The highest level of strategy in many complex games, metagame refers to any aspect of strategy that involves thinking about what your opponent is thinking you are thinking.

Metagame comes into play in any game where no single strategy is dominant and opposing sides are aware of multiple strategies that can succeed dependent upon opponents' actions. In order to perform at the highest level, it then becomes necessary to think about what your opponent thinks you will do (which may depend on what he thinks you think he thinks he will do, etc.) and to make decisions based on clues regarding what level they are thinking on.

This term is most commonly used to refer to poker and other complex card games, but is increasingly being used in relation to video games with complicated player vs player elements and even traditional sports.
Clementus

Post by Clementus »

Though being very wordy :P Arch's post is bang on. The newer scans that were tested in some ways created nothing more than a bombing race which is a large reason why so many higher ranks are bombers. There are very few fighters because it was unbelievably rare to have a blob vs blob fight. I can only think or one that happened involving us after the usual initial Roids bundle that did not happen in a HW.

The newer scans are nice giving an advantage to having them but not being game breaking which the others were. Hopefully this will bring back the balance and will mean that we don't all end up in stinky bombers! :)
Fwiffo

Post by Fwiffo »

I don't think the scan change is going to affect that any. Hell, it's harder to see the bombers coming and react now, so there could be more bombing. :P Only going to see less of them when the scoring gets changed.
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

Currently you can still track enemy blobs, even though you cant see details ;-)
Clementus

Post by Clementus »

True, which i think is quite nice but still gives the options for people to be acting on their own and the other legions not to know exactly where they are or what they are doing. Even a simple decoy can hide someones actions so is fun! :)
Sephiroth

Post by Sephiroth »

I like reduced scans as well..

now for the bombing stuff: give fighters a score boost (and reppers as well) when targeting or repping the planet. would be nice imo.. repping my HW for 5 moves and 0 ups stinks.. especially since you can barely rep over 50-100 HP on average.
Arch

Post by Arch »

I don't think the answer is putting more points HW-based. That's part of the issue right now is people would rather shoot planets than engage in blob-on-blob fights. Scaling back the points from bombing would be a more viable solution than giving more points for fighters/reppers.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Scaling the points back from bombing is a given. But I also feel there should be some sort of incentive to rep your HW when its being bombed. As I mentioned in the other thread the only incentive when you get 0 points for doing it is if your on a legion that stands a chance to win. Take the krils from his game. We hardly repped our HW at all after pushing out the first attack on our HW. We took right off and went after other legions leaving the planet to heal itself.
Fwiffo

Post by Fwiffo »

I don't think there needs to be incentive for repping the planet, having repair ships sitting in their homeworld scoring points by themselves is just as bad as all the bombers off shooting planets, no need to encourage it.

I like having the planet repair option for emergencies. When a legion is facing a suicide bombing run where their enemies are simply trying to blow up the planet while ignoring ships, it's nice for the reppers to be able to do something about that (besides trying pickups to shoot the bombers).
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Fwiffo wrote:I don't think there needs to be incentive for repping the planet, having repair ships sitting in their homeworld scoring points by themselves is just as bad as all the bombers off shooting planets, no need to encourage it.

I like having the planet repair option for emergencies. When a legion is facing a suicide bombing run where their enemies are simply trying to blow up the planet while ignoring ships, it's nice for the reppers to be able to do something about that (besides trying pickups to shoot the bombers).
Cant sit in your homeworld scoring points if the bombers don't come to bomb it :)

You can rep a full HP HW any more then you can rep a full HP player.

What it does is add to the meta game already present in tvs. It makes it so you have to decide when to attack a HW and I believe make sure you can finish it. Else you may just give the legion whos HW you attacked a boost back into the game.