kandaar

Re: Sooo, new Beta ?

Post by kandaar »

Second the motion!!
My Nose runs, and my Feet smell.... Guess I'm built backwards
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

But what needs to change first? I vote for taking out cloaked hypering.
Avalen

Post by Avalen »

I like the cloaked hypering but i dislike cloakers having that and being able to do PU firing when cloaked as well, bit too much imo.

I'd be quite happy with one or the other, cloaked hypering i'd prefer the most, means more sneaky movement but without cloakers being just too powerful.
valdano

Post by valdano »

lol Ice ;)
Islander

Post by Islander »

Cloakers are not too powerful. you just think like that because we were in a frantic and luckily:
1. there was quite a lot of active cloakers
2. not too many active bombers
3. lots of careless people leaving their ships out in the open

In a real beta, there is Auto-Pilot, Sleep Tick, and 3 hour turns. These features are all biased against cloakers.
It's still going to be bombers who will be ruling the roost on a beta... trust me.

Cloakers only advantage is stealth -- the ability to sneak up on people without them knowing.
Without cloaked hypering this is not possible, especially with LC scans showing all movement, with or without decoys.

You expect Cloakers to go up one on one with a fighter or bomber? of course not, they'll be killed.
But if its an unsuspecting, outnumbered, damaged, and/or lower-level ship stuck for EOT and SOT? That's where they are most dangerous at.
kandaar

Post by kandaar »

I have to agree with Islander on this one.
Us krils were just lucky enough to have a group that were not only active enough, but at the same time.
If you think back, our cloakers turned into druiser later than everyone else. Our first cruiser came from a bomber.

It took FOREVER to get to cruiser level, because the cloakers don't carry that much of a punch. So in ship to ship fights, we got beaten and had to scurry off.

Actually, in my mind, the hyper cloaked feature is the only reason you'd take a cloaker. Now it can be used for somehing.
Before ppl could see you incoming and leaving, so your intel would be useless...

To be honest, what I think is overpowered is the scans for the brass.
Sure, you should be able to see into a sector where you have ships or decoys.
Sure, you should be able to see inbound and outbound ships.

What you should NOT be able to, is see where they're headed, unless you have ships in adjacent sectors (so you can see them inbound there).
After all, LC and VC scans are just a technical comm from ships in the field about the coming and going in the ships respective sectors, no?

Give us back a bit of fog-of-war, please.
As it is now, I think it's way too easy to counter an opposing legions moves. You can see where they're goin, even from half the galaxy away.... Even though you have no ships nearby to feed you intel....
Surprise is almost impossible to achieve anymore.

$0.02
My Nose runs, and my Feet smell.... Guess I'm built backwards
Fwiffo

Post by Fwiffo »

I liked the scans when entire legions were made of bombers. Made it easier to see them coming and get back in time before they destroy your home world in 5 turns.

With a (hopefully) more even spread of ship types now though, it would be nice to go back to the old system.
Clementus

Post by Clementus »

I like the idea of only getting scans in the sectors you have a ship or decoy in and then possibly one sector further from each "cloaker" as they are the scouts? Though that might be making the coding a little difficult :P
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

I'm going to do something about accidental hypering I think...looking at it now.

Beta tomorrow :)