Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

General forum for chat and banter.
Islander

Re: Testing frantic / beta discussion thread

Post by Islander »

I believe the definition of bunnying is getting killed by people who are 3 levels higher than you, as that doesn't give them any additional score. That means L1s are fair game to L3s, and L2s to L4s. In first 150 ticks i don't think you can get bunnied yet, unless the high levels are that ruthless...

my thoughts on how to minimize this:
1. don't count bunnying as a kill
2. display an info screen after a bunny kill informing the player of what s/he did, how it affects new player base, how its not counted in kills, no extra score, etc.
3. hall of infamy? altho this might stroke some egoists -- penalties for repeat offenders? but that is hard because sometimes bunnying is valid in certain cases.
kandaar

Post by kandaar »

Raises hand, I bunnied 3 or so in this frantic. (I too count it as bunnying when there's no advancement of score).
Not proud of it, but it seemed like it needed to be done.
More specifically, I did it during the last base siege. Sorry tibs, but I just wanted it over with ;)

I think we also need to take into account the human mentality here. If you're frustrated, because you've been getting the [FILTH] end of the stick a lot lately, I think you're more inclined to "dole out some retribution" on your enemy, and if there's only a bunny around.... well, pants.

I think we need to move outside the box for a solution, because there are no tools to be found inside the game as it is now, that will fix this problem.

Dunno.. maybe a "respect-meter"? Though, I could see myself trying hard to achieve the lowest score possible.... "Just because!!" :P

Not counting the kills might be a working way. But some of these bunny kills are also a result of personal vendettas..... And they just go on and on :(
My Nose runs, and my Feet smell.... Guess I'm built backwards
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

No kill count and an added (large) negative score should take the fun out of bunnying I think. Then you can still have your revenge, but you know it will cost you a place in rankings.
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

Ok point loss for bunnying is in.
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Also, the donation link should be working now. Please can someone send just a £1 / $1 / €1 to test.

Any ideas of suitable rewards for donations? Special forum rank for example?

fyi current TVS costs are about £60 per month
idontknow

Post by idontknow »

I would like to point out the fact that there are some good reasons to kill bunnies. Well, basically just two: a limited one regarding scans and a powerful one regarding HW regeneration. What are you supposed to do if your HW's neighbouring sectors are filled with enemy level 1-2 ships (happened around Tibrar in the last beta a few times)? You get rid of them so your HW can regenerate faster. I know it would be a pain to implement but I don't see the logic behind losing points when you're effectively just defending your HW. Not getting a kill point is fine, though.

On a side note: would pilots with 75k+ points really care about losing points? Sure, some would want to get as many points as possible for their ego but it doesn't exactly provide a real punishment. It's a bis illogical but why not additionally/instead plant an explosive into the bunny? Let level 4/5 ships severely damage themselves (in relative or absolute terms; each shot 25% hp loss? 2000hp+?). If it's necessary for HP regen they will not mind too much, if it's just out of boredom or because of a personal vendetta, they might think about it twice if no repper is around.

The blunt method would be to make an attack on bunnies in their home world (and neutral sectors?) impossible? Not the most elegant solution, I admit. I guess the being-damaged option might be the most effective in a gameplay and strategic sense.
piggycape

Post by piggycape »

Agree with idontknow
Arch

Post by Arch »

Donate link worked fine for me, ecvej
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Cheers Arch, seems to work ok :)

I don't like how the scans encourage bunnying so maybe we need another scan based system.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

I dont see how the scans encourage bunnying specifically they encourage firing twice and chasing though. No matter who the enemy is