Focus On: Uncharted Sector

Suggest and discuss new ideas or ways we can improve the game.
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Focus On: Uncharted Sector

Post by ecvej »

I'm thinking of bringing this feature in soon from v1 but could do with some ideas on how it should work now that we have an interactive map for hypering rather than the old drop down menu. Any ideas? My current idea is to have a sector appear twice side by side with no indication as to which is which. Alternatively the map could look totally normal with no warning to the player at all :twisted: NB As with the recent pickup thread it's better for people to post ideas first rather than complain they don't like something after it's done.
chrisso909

Re: Focus On: Uncharted Sector

Post by chrisso909 »

I'd love to give some thoughts on this however I have never played a beta/frantic where the Uncharted sector has appeared before so little knowledge on whats in there and therefore how appealing it would be to have set moves to get there or randomly appear as you make a hyper.

I know when you hyper you always see a clip of a ship hypering, could there be some kind of interactive click in the video clip to allow it...?

Not my best suggestion but didnt want this to go unnoticed

All the best

Chrisso
Legion

Post by Legion »

Hmmm I like the idea of the sector appearing and not having an indication of which is NSA and Which is UCS, as in v1 all you had was two NSA options drop down on your hyper menu.

My main issue though with UCS was that the whole back story of the game was that the war started due to the Fuel found in UCS, though in game all UCS acted as was a second NSA just with more scrap. I always felt there should have been some tactical advantage to owning (dominating) the sector, such as double HW regen rate, or a stat increase for that legions ships.
Aftermath

Post by Aftermath »

The only way that I can think of it working with an interactive map, is to incorporate a % chance that a pilot hypering would end up in the UCS instead of their intended destination. The only difference I see between this and the old version (from what I've been told of how the old way worked), is that you would have no clue that you had the chance to end up there at the time of hypering.
2ice2bme

Post by 2ice2bme »

i miss my drop down menus. badly
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

What was good about having a drop down menu off the bottom of the screen?
2ice2bme

Post by 2ice2bme »

hyper plus lc scan screen look alot alike. at 3am its easy to click a screen to check a scan and accidentally hyper. did it 3 times this beta past. I never did that with my drop downs.

Also the maps sometimes dont load.
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Not seen a bug report about the maps not loading ;)
Arch

Post by Arch »

Could have it work like an intermediate screen after you click a sector to hyper. Pops up a quest like the random hypergate PU - "proceed into the wormhole or continue on your way?"

Chance for the hyper window can could vary from sector to sector or have a flat chance on all but only active on certain ticks.

Exit gate rotates between the 4 inner-LD sectors from tick-to-tick with only one open at a time. Takes 5 moves to exit.

I agree with Legion there needs to be some kind of benefit though (other than more scrap). I like double HW regen if dominated but additionally I think it should provide ship-based benefits while in sector like double 2x selfrep heal or offer an auto-repair each tick.

Ultimately, I think it should offer an individual pilot an interesting decision versus being another predictable gate a legion can use to escape or maneuver around the map as we're going to have those moving forward anyway.