How very depressing.

General forum for chat and banter.
Britnoth

Re: How very depressing.

Post by Britnoth »

"and how people are not doing it to cheat at the game."

No, working around an intended feature of the game, and getting a large advantage by doing so, is hardly cheating is it.

/sarcasm

"You simply can't take any actions during it."

Seems Jax can though. Actions is what im wating for right now, actually.
Fwiffo

Post by Fwiffo »

The actions aren't taken during the sleep tick, they're taken many turns prior to the sleep tick and only take effect then. You simply have a fundamental misunderstanding of what's going on. Here is what happened leading up to the Jax jump you complained about:

Turn 26, Jax are in Canopus West. LC orders pilots to repair for a turn and set this auto-pilot course:
Set Auto-pilot T28 to Roids.
Set Auto-pilot T29 to T3S.
Set Auto-pilot T30 to Ajaxus.
All of this was done on T26.

That caused players to hyper straight to Ajaxus, whether they had sleep ticks any of those ticks or not. If you've done any jumps like this, your legion has had sleep tick jumpers. This happens because people are lazy/don't care to check when their sleep tick is coming up and cancel the auto-jump on whatever turn that is. Not because they're attempting to circumvent an intended feature of the game.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Britnoth wrote:"and how people are not doing it to cheat at the game."

No, working around an intended feature of the game, and getting a large advantage by doing so, is hardly cheating is it.

/sarcasm

"You simply can't take any actions during it."

Seems Jax can though. Actions is what im wating for right now, actually.
There is no way the bors last beta had 16 man jumps from 1 homeworld to another without someone abusing that bug.

Its a known bug, pretty much everyone has abused it at least once and up until now no one has bothered to come stomp their feet on the forums because they missed a kill.

As cal already said the bug is fixed so drop it already
Britnoth

Post by Britnoth »

Fine, if noone else gives a shit, neither will I.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Britnoth wrote:Fine, if noone else gives a shit, neither will I.
My honest opinion is now that the bug has been fixed, sleep tick is now useless.

How often will you actually be able to use your sleep tick without missing a jump?

I am thinking very rarely. I actually set auto anyway just to make sure it worked and the bug was fixed and now have deactivated my sleep tick. In my opinion it is now a useless feature because better then half the time it comes up I will need to be jumping to stick with my legion. Therefore I have to make the choice to use ZZZ and fall behind or cancel ZZZ and stick with the blob. I for one would much prefer my legion canceled ZZZ and stick together then leave straglers behind to use a feature that is now hampering legion movement instead of helping the legion to have a sleep turn without fear of dieing that tick.
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

Britnoth wrote:Everyone knows you are not supposed to be able to take any action during the sleep tick. Intentionally circumventing the intended rules of the game, for your own benefit, is 100% cheating. 4 people is what, half your active blob? Thats organised cheating.
You cannot claim that everyone knows how the game is supposed to work. I'm a vet and i've done numerous bug reports that turned out to be features. This bug has been reported ages ago but has not been fixed, so people will start to use it as a feature automatically. Unless you can show some place where it specifically says you are not supposed to hyper during sleep ticks, it is not cheating. Think of it as a loophole in a tax law: you can legally use the loophole until the law is fixed and the loophole is removed. You can't claim "everyone knows how the tax law is supposed to work so they are committing fraud".

I have been using this feature too, on purpose. I don't see the problem. One could also just unset sleep tick, program autopilot, and turn sleep tick back on. I would frown upon using it to jump into a sector before sleep tick, then being in enemy sector while zZzing, then hypering out that same tick. But afaik that didnt happen.
Britnoth

Post by Britnoth »

iceblink wrote:This bug has been reported ages ago but has not been fixed, so people will start to use it as a feature automatically. Unless you can show some place where it specifically says you are not supposed to hyper during sleep ticks, it is not cheating.
I have been using this feature too, on purpose. I don't see the problem. One could also just unset sleep tick, program autopilot, and turn sleep tick back on. I would frown upon using it to jump into a sector before sleep tick, then being in enemy sector while zZzing, then hypering out that same tick. But afaik that didnt happen.

So first it's, 'it's not a bug'. Then people admit it is a bug, but as it's 'not fixed YET', it is okay to abuse it.

First it's, 'we werent abusing it intentionally' so its okay. Then it is, 'we used it on purpose, but it's okay to abuse a bug before it is fixed', because it is part of the game.

Alright, let me explain.

Using/abusing bugs is not acceptable in any reputable game. You're supposed to be helping find and remove bugs, not use them. Is it acceptable to you if I log into your account by accident due to some weird bug, and delete your account? By your logic that is fine, as the game allowed it.

Oh, right, the 'it doesn't say its illegal anywhere, therefore it is perfectly fine' argument. Really scraping the bottom here. As it's not written in the rules anywhere, is it fine if I am given a cruiser with 1,000,000 HP then? It's not written in the rules, so again, thats perfectly fine right?....

:lol:

"I have been using this feature too, on purpose. I don't see the problem."
Which is why it is cheating. Once you find a bug, you should:
1. Make sure it is a bug, and find out how it works/isnt working.
2. Report it to the people who fix bugs.
3. Do not spread how to abuse the bug to others (if the bug report is not open to the public).
4. Do your best to avoid abusing the bug yourself now you have verified it is one.

Instead you use the bug (which you admit it is) as a tool to help you in the game.

"One could also just unset sleep tick, program autopilot, and turn sleep tick back on."
The mechanics of how you abuse the bug is not important, that you used it continually for your advantage is. Even so, I am informed changing sleep tick requires a 24h cooldown, so that would not work.

"I would frown upon using it to jump into a sector before sleep tick, then being in enemy sector while zZzing, then hypering out that same tick. But afaik that didnt happen."
This is exactly what happened vs me personally in DH, where I jumped in, and found the Jax bomber in sleep tick. Naturally I used my moves on pickups and stayed in the sector expecting to be able to shoot him start of the NEXT tick, only to see him jumping out of the sector that very same tick, seemingly no longer in sleep tick either.

Evcej and Calundra could very easily have stopped anyone abusing this bug: They could have just disabled sleep tick, or disabled the autopilot. But you know, this is a test beta.. were supposed to be testing the game to help them fix stuff, not be ultra competitive that they have to police the game instead of improve it. I guess some people here aren't mature enough to do that eh?

:(
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Thats right, it is a test beta. So why are we still complaining about a bug? Try and enjoy the game or test it, no need for feet stomping until the game is live.
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

Britnoth, first of all: you act as if the entire legion were one person. It is not that simple. Not everyone knows what you know or what i know, so you cannot just claim 'people' should all react the same or know this or do that.

Deleting someone else's account is obviously wrong by any account and in no way compares to what we are talking about here.
If I got a 1M point cruiser by accident, reported it to ecvej, and he would not do anything about it, yes i would just keep using it.

Your point 3 was impossible because it is such an obvious thing, you can hardly miss it. Then once everyone knows it, and it's still not considered high priority to fix, it becomes a feature.

I'm sorry you missed out on points or even a kill in DH. I can see now why you are upset. But it doesn't change my opinion.

And indeed it is a test beta. But I hope you are aware that you are being just as "ultra-competitive" as the 'abusers' of the bug, by getting upset about missing points / a kill.

Our legion did not like Whykt suddenly being an enemy instead of an ally (or even LC) but it's just part of the testing. If you cant handle stuff like that stop playing until the beta stage is over.
degener8

Post by degener8 »

When I first read the title I thought it was going to be how bad us bors are lol