2 min frantic

General forum for chat and banter.
LoB

Re: 2 min frantic

Post by LoB »

I liked the "ultra-fast-paced-ness", but no chance to take any brakes or coordinate anything, and having to spend full day staring at screen had it's disadvantages.

Would it be possible to have variable length turns? or brakes? Say, 5 turns 2 minutes each, then a 10 minute turn 2-2-2-2-2-10-2-2-2-2-2-10. And then an extra 20minute break every 3 hours?
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

LoB wrote:I liked the "ultra-fast-paced-ness", but no chance to take any brakes or coordinate anything, and having to spend full day staring at screen had it's disadvantages.

Would it be possible to have variable length turns? or brakes? Say, 5 turns 2 minutes each, then a 10 minute turn 2-2-2-2-2-10-2-2-2-2-2-10. And then an extra 20minute break every 3 hours?
That could be nice if it tells you in advance what the next tick time is.

Say your on tick 5 and its 2 minutes and it tells you tick 6 is 10 minutes so you can plan your moves out properly.
Jhyphi

Post by Jhyphi »

I actually LIKED the 2 minute frantic.

Maybe not every time, but it was good to have something so fast, almost like playing a video game. Other frantics are weird because it was long enough that you can't do mostly frantic, but too often that if you're out with your friends, it's odd to be checking every 15 minutes.

I think 2 min or 3 hours is best.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Yea 2 minutes put the frantic in frantic. On the other hand, there was literally no time to do anything else. SO it was either sit there all day and play frantic or vac and your prolly out of the game for good.
Islander

Post by Islander »

At first I thought it was too fast -- sometimes you couldn't even think, strategize and communicate properly. But after a while I believe I may have adjusted a bit (multiple tabs are a must!) but sometimes (especially when a lot is going on) you still get overwhelmed, miss a jump here and there, or do auto-reps because you know you won't have time to do pickups (yeah, fine time to downgrade my home internet connection). I think 5 mins would be better for more thinking and coordination. Thank god cloakers offer relatively a lot of time to do tiolet breaks!

As for fun -- it was fun when you have a good active team and you're winning battles, but one by one as our cruisers went on vacation and you're a lone L1 bomber left on the legion, that's not fun -- its downright depressing and hopeless. So the problem really here is activity, (or lack of it). So for frantics, I think three sides would actually be better, although the map should be modified as well.

Bombers still leveled way too fast. It took us cloakers forever, but I think we had a lot of fun in the process. I tried bombing a planet alone with a cruiser and it's very boring. Seriously -- no offense to those hardcore bombers, but where is the fun in shooting a stationary target?
Arch

Post by Arch »

Three legions would work better in a Beta round too with the playerbase. At the very least I think it would be worth giving a shot.
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

So, 5, 10 or 15 minutes?
JackBlackIV

Post by JackBlackIV »

I vote 15, as I've never played anything but 15m frantics ;)

Besides, I'm pretty busy this weekend, and checking more often than every 5 minutes will make the girlfriend angry xD
valdano

Post by valdano »

15 leaves some time to play other things as well :)
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

Ok then, by a whopping 100% margin we'll go for 15 mins :)