Page Sizes

General forum for chat and banter.
chrisso909

Page Sizes

Post by chrisso909 »

Does anyone else find it slightly frustrating when going on pages that we have to scroll down to see it all in the game, for me the following is frustrating:

1. NavCom Map, is there anyway to make the map visible for the whole page or is that a resolution thing? (Even on top resolution I cant see it all...)

2. In comms also, when I create a new message I cant type a message without having to scroll down the page to click the send button....

Could this be an improvement or am I just picking holes :D:D
JackBlackIV

Re: Page Sizes

Post by JackBlackIV »

Could you post screen shots with that? ;) Any usability problem is good to tell here :)
chrisso909

Post by chrisso909 »

how do I attach an image to this post?

[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\ChrWilli\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\ss.jpg[/img]
ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Post by ecvej »

If you upload somewhere you can link to it
iceblink

Post by iceblink »

You can upload here for instance: http://imgur.com/
(But be aware that anything uploaded to the big bad internet can never be removed fully)
chrisso909

Post by chrisso909 »

OK,

lets see if this works. I have made screenshots of the comms and the nacom. Looking at the navcomm I think I am picking holes but the comms does annoy me a bit.

try this link for the images: http://imgur.com/a/Bg1Qg

One of them is a screenshot of teh comms. This is what the comms look like when I first click on comms ->new message. When I start typing as illustrated in the image, the comms dont scroll down meaning I have to physically scroll down to keep typing. I also have to scroll down the page to send the message either way so scrollage is required both times.

Comms is something that is used alot and am wondering if it would be nice to have less mouse action required for the site? Perhaps the reason why the comms message box and send button are so low is simply because of the items above, i,e, the listbox of recipients menu bar and send options, (send all,send sector etc...)

Perhaps if the listbox was smaller or even a combobox instead of listbox it might work? Just a suggestion, does anyone else find this slightly annoying or is it just me that neeeds to scroll down?

Cheers

Chrisso
calundra

Post by calundra »

Good screen shot (except everyone knows who you are now). I don't think navcom can be fixed, so can we ignore that for the time being.

Comms, I see what you mean, how about if we try moving the links for selecting groups next to the multi-select box? Web based forms don't have many options for the multi-select box (not without a lot of javascript anyway) so not sure what I could do to make that much smaller without making it hard to use.

I have to say that I tend to use the tab key to get from the message box to the send button. Maybe when JackBlackIV finishes the redesign he was doing it'll be better. :)
chrisso909

Post by chrisso909 »

haha I'm sure thats why you guys wanted the screenshot anyways :-P I'm not really that influential as a player and I'm sure it doesnt make a blind bit of difference to the game play if someone knows what my login name is here...

Yes we can ignore the NavCom as I dont think its really much a problem scrolling down to see the whole map, you can just about see the whole map when in the right place on the page, is it possible to program where the page is on the scroll bar so when someone clicks on NavCom it will jump the scroll bar so as the map is right in the middle of the screen (in the vertical direction?). (This might actually be messy so no worries there!!).

Yes I was thinking that as soon as I pressed send, a combo box doesnt really allow for multi selection. Perhaps I can have a think about how I could program a combo box to allow multiple selectiongs and send it to you guys, I feel like my programming skills are going stale at the mo so be a nice little project!

The tab button is a good work around, thanks for the tip!
calundra

Post by calundra »

I've changed the layout of the send new message page a little bit, if it seems odd try clearing cache as it might not have refreshed the stylesheet properly. Let me know what you think?
JackBlackIV

Post by JackBlackIV »

calundra wrote:Good screen shot (except everyone knows who you are now). I don't think navcom can be fixed, so can we ignore that for the time being.

Comms, I see what you mean, how about if we try moving the links for selecting groups next to the multi-select box? Web based forms don't have many options for the multi-select box (not without a lot of javascript anyway) so not sure what I could do to make that much smaller without making it hard to use.

I have to say that I tend to use the tab key to get from the message box to the send button. Maybe when JackBlackIV finishes the redesign he was doing it'll be better. :)
The bolded part was just what I was about to suggest, that'd create 4 more lines of 'empty' space on the bottom of the page. Also, the recipients and subject could be aligned next to eachother, if necessary. Or, next to both the multi-select and the group links.