ecvej
Developer / Administrator

Re: Phones

Post by ecvej »

Android running on a Nexus S :)
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Considering learning to program for a phone, wanted to see which was used more here :)
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Well feel free to make an iphone or android app for us, that'll be good practice ;-)
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

That was the idea, I just wanted to see which was used more and thus more beneficial :)
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Might be easier to go for whatever phone you use so that you can test easier and are familiar with the o/s already. If you decide to go ahead let me know and we can do the server side coding for you or give you server access so you can upload any server code you need yourself.
nene

Post by nene »

Droidx here!
SpiderWolve

Post by SpiderWolve »

Droid, Galaxy S here.
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Looks like android phones are more popular which is nice because thats what I use myself.

As for the server side code, I was hopeful that you had written the code so that the ap would call server side code to execute any actions like jumping etc so there can be no cheating(such as logging on a computer and phone at the same time and attempting to execute moves on both at the same time to gain an extra move a tick)

I'd still need access to server side code so I can see which functions to call but hopefully I don't have to learn multiple languages at once to do the app :)
ecvej

Post by ecvej »

Yeah all those kinds of functions are there but what you'll need on the server side is something that sits between them and the app. It'll call the relevant functions and spit out info in a format the app can read with the result. Atm it's spitting out info (html) for web browsers but you won't need all that with an app. I can code that stuff for you, shouldn't take longer than 2 hours.

We'd need to plan how the server interface should talk with the app. I'd suggest xml as it's easy to read with android. Monday I'll be in taras from about 9PM UK time if you can make it it'll be easier to talk.

Cheers for looking into it - I imagine they'll be a few android users who owe you a beer when it's up and running :P