Why didnt the Bors fight the Jaxs?

General forum for chat and banter.
Lethal Lordz

Re: Why didnt the Bors fight the Jaxs?

Post by Lethal Lordz »

idontknow i think it was the other way around! Tibs were fun but annoying to us Krils at the Beginning! You greens came straight across to us after the initial roids battle and set up camp in PK for about 15ticks! I thought at the time the Tibs were going to be the strongest legion. If i remember correctly after the Tibs first base assault on us, you's went through the roids to 81103. I jumped to the roids to shoot your stragglers, then you's all jump back to the roids to shoot me. I hypered out badly damaged, next tick got a half max then hypered back to the roids with my other spare move (got the VC navcom map mixed up the actual navcom you use to hyper and instead of checking scans i hypered by accident :P) I manage to hyper out badly damaged again due to not all the Tibs being active at the tick change. THEN the Tibs decided to follow me to SS but some of their ships missed the jump so they only hypered into our fleet with approx half their ships maybe a bit more. BUT at this time the Bors new what was going on and jumped into the roids..this is where the Tibs moral got obliterated, lost 3 ships? in the roids then i killed 3 more in SS. Tibs would have been quite strong if some of their ships stayed active and didn't give up.. How about next time don't chase one cloaker!!

Nice work to all the Tibs that stuck with it and didn't give up after dieing! Because i know for a fact that at least 3 Tibs spat it after dieing once! Soooo soft, hows a legion meant to rebuild when you have quitters on the team? But in saying this its a little bit different if you have been taken out more than 6,7,8.. times, its does drain your energy when all the hard work gets scrapped and you get put back in a level one.

Krils i loved ya's all, just wish we were a tad more active! and got our shit together early on. We lost a few high ranked pilots due to lack in legion news(my bad) and activeness in general cost a few people their ships.

Bors well done very impressive with your fleet movement,targets and general hit and run tactics with your bombers. Very soft at the End with Ajaxus. But all in all the color yellow dominated hardcore this game.

Ajaxions... no comment
idontknow

Post by idontknow »

Lethal Lordz wrote:idontknow i think it was the other way around! Tibs were fun but annoying to us Krils at the Beginning! You greens came straight across to us after the initial roids battle and set up camp in PK for about 15ticks! I thought at the time the Tibs were going to be the strongest legion. If i remember correctly after the Tibs first base assault on us, you's went through the roids to 81103. I jumped to the roids to shoot your stragglers, then you's all jump back to the roids to shoot me. I hypered out badly damaged, next tick got a half max then hypered back to the roids with my other spare move (got the VC navcom map mixed up the actual navcom you use to hyper and instead of checking scans i hypered by accident :P) I manage to hyper out badly damaged again due to not all the Tibs being active at the tick change. THEN the Tibs decided to follow me to SS but some of their ships missed the jump so they only hypered into our fleet with approx half their ships maybe a bit more. BUT at this time the Bors new what was going on and jumped into the roids..this is where the Tibs moral got obliterated, lost 3 ships? in the roids then i killed 3 more in SS. Tibs would have been quite strong if some of their ships stayed active and didn't give up.. How about next time don't chase one cloaker!!

Nice work to all the Tibs that stuck with it and didn't give up after dieing! Because i know for a fact that at least 3 Tibs spat it after dieing once! Soooo soft, hows a legion meant to rebuild when you have quitters on the team? But in saying this its a little bit different if you have been taken out more than 6,7,8.. times, its does drain your energy when all the hard work gets scrapped and you get put back in a level one.
Yes, I remember... I was one of the ones who got destroyed. I think the first time I was just getting used to the TVS lifestyle again and just forgot two ticks or so... Well, dying is part of the game and it shouldn't matter too much. Hey, I've got destroyed twice just after I hit level 5. So what? I still got lots of love from you guys :P

Our activity wasn't that great from the beginning, though. And every time it looked like we were getting our act together again we lost one or two of our most important ships (and pilots)... well, bad luck, I suppose.

I look forward to the next round. :D
Clementus

Post by Clementus »

On one side note it was the first beta i've seen where there was no proper roguing though a few were close on the Jax side. I spent a large part of it chasing the bors around trying to irritate them but a few bad guesses of their movement messed me up :)

Seemed alot of cloaker tactics being used especially by Krils which were fun. Better now bug gone.
Seraphim

Post by Seraphim »

Well the problem for us Tibs wasn't necessarily morale crashing and people quitting (not initially anyway), but a lot of our pilots could only play for a few days before they had to leave and go inactive, like Sephiroth could only be active for a short while. And some just disappeared and were never heard of again like BlackLotus.

There wasn't enough consistent activity throughout the round, and I was quite appalled to see some who got killed being made 1st target again, almost as if some LCs just wanted folks to quit. I for one must give a big applause to idontknow and nivek for coming back every time. I think half my points came from repping these 2.

(also who was the Jax LC :P)
Last edited by Seraphim on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jhyphi

Post by Jhyphi »

Demolition wrote:
Jhyphi wrote:Wow, so much whining and "boring" talk from the 2 legions that pretty much only fed off the tibs or tried to fight only in their HW all beta.

The Krils did put up 2 good fights, the jax not so much. Including running out of Boraxus in that 3v1 trinap that completely failed because of jax all leaving. At that point, there was serious concern since the 3 legions had a lot more 5's and 4's in Boraxus at that point until jax all jumped out.
Jyphi, as I recall the bors refused to fight in anyone else's homeworld as well until the very end when you started killing them. Careful about scorning other legions for doing what you did, it doesn't make you look better at all :)
Go read again. =) I said you only wanted to fight in your HW, not that you didn't want to fight in others'. There's other sectors on the map, "only in their homeworld" does not mean it has to be in other's homeworld. No one really wanted to fight in other ppls HW until near the end, which is perfectly normal. The issue is running/avoiding neutral battles. So no, I'm not throwing stones in a glass house. Go read my original statement again and hope it helps.

My comment is that Jax and Krils are saying it's boring when they mostly just fed off the Tibs. My comment was aimed mostly at the Jax, who barely fought anywhere.

Bors (and krils) took part in a few big neutral zone fights. For example the roids one.
Islander

Post by Islander »

Congrats to the Bors, who won basically through their amazing activity, discipline and strategy.
No doubt this was also the legion that made best use of the new AP feature.

However, I believe the thread here accuses them of being Bor-ing, or playing it extra safe -- which I generally agree.
Jhyphi, you are saying that nobody wants to fight in other ppls HW "until the end", but I think what ppl are saying is that you judged "until the end" as far too safe.

Bors have the best activity and their scary bomber blob has a page+ full of L5s jumping together and leaving no stragglers.
Your comments here already degraded our tactics and fighting prowess. Krills are a mess in terms of activity as well.
Tibs have joined you in fighting the Jax (great mystery, i still don't know why).
The only (slim) hope for the smurfs are two bombers returning home for their cruisers. You manage to kill one, while the other escapes.

You then decide to go halfway around the universe and bomb PK instead? Because the Jax have a carrier??? Amazing. Don't you know you can shoot that carrier?
Not saying this was the wrong decision, as the results speak for themselves... you won with barely any casualties (leaving devilishlysas was quite puzzling i think... you guys give the Jax defense too much credit), but thats generally what this thread is about i think -- why didnt the Bors finish off the Jax?
Demolition

Post by Demolition »

Jhyphi, you repeated your comment, which is exactly what I read and said you did the same thing we did. You even agreed later in your post that we did the same thing...

perhaps you are the one who needs to do the reading? :)

Oh, and no one really got a chance to feed on the tibs, any time either of us went there you went to our hw to stop us.

I disagree that anyone really fed much of the tibs for most of the game as you bors forced us right back out as soon as we got there.

You gained far more points whoring our empty HW then we got off the tibs easily.
Jhyphi

Post by Jhyphi »

Demo - you said, "Jyphi, as I recall the bors refused to fight in anyone else's homeworld as well"

WHAT ABOUT NEUTRAL ZONES??? Bors were willing to fight there most of the game while Jax didn't want to. JAX ONLY WANTED TO FIGHT IN THEIR HW OR NOTHING AT ALL. Please read.

I said "2 legions that pretty much only fed off the tibs or tried to fight only in their HW all beta."
The opposite of "only in their HW" is "NEUTRAL ZONES + OTHER HW".

Bors wanted to fight - NEUTRAL + Boraxus
Krils - PK + a little Neutral
Jax - ONLY AJAXUS

If Bors attacking your empty HW was more points, why didn't you attack Bors head on? Like the time periods when Krils actually had the lead and Bors were in 3rd place?
Seraphim

Post by Seraphim »

Demolition wrote:I disagree that anyone really fed much of the tibs for most of the game as you bors forced us right back out as soon as we got there.
I'll say that there wasn't one side in particular who constantly hounded us, it was more the Jax and Krils pretty much alternating, and then the Bors eventually going after whoever was trying to feed off of us (which I'll admit sounds logical, damage control). I mean, it's not for a lack of trying. I remember there was a whole period mid-round when we couldn't move more than 2-3 sectors away from our homeworld because you all came by one after the other. We lost most pilots that period.

Which is why I was so amused to read how upset the Jax were (judging from LC conversations our LC showed us) when we eventually stopped taking a beating from every corner and, for a few days, teamed up and actually got some score. They tried to bully us around, but you gotta figure that the carrot works better than the stick, which is why towards the end we had to pick sides again and chose against the Jax.

But irregardless of that; at the end of every round it seems the larger side is upset at the smaller side not fighting in neutral territory. (And the smaller side is upset at the larger side being too cautious). But if you're the smaller side, suicide isn't looking particularly interesting as well. It's just not beneficial, and at least in your HW you have a chance. Or am I talking complete nonsense here? It just goes to show that people prefer not to lose their ship, and value living over killing. If there were more rewards for killing maybe people would be more reckless.
whykt

Post by whykt »

As the Bor LC, this is how I remember the beta...

Bors really didn't have more activity than other legions from the start, it wasn't so much luck of the draw. It increased as it normally does when there's consistent leadership (ie constant nagging from myself), ships building up in levels so players are more vested, taking the initiative to move around the map instead of waiting, camaraderie towards the middle/end stages. I was really surprised to see the big change in Tibs from the start when they looked so dominant. I think the mistake for you guys was to jump into PK a second time, thus building up all their firepower?

We started off third or fourth place when I was voted in (not by choice :P), we couldn't stay in Roids, were at a loss on what to do. Thankfully the Jax(?) went to Boraxus so it gave us some easy points. We had plenty of bombers so we clawed our way up with empty bases (being annoying urban foxes and disliked by every legion). When we had our two fights against the Krils in 81103 (well played Krils) and against Jax in Tripe (well played Jax), we ended up losing ships! Maybe due to our lack of reppers, lack of fighters, lack of firing discipline. So we dropped back to third place - that's how close the beta was for a long time. Jhpyhi commented that before he went on vac, we were third place... when he came back, we were still third so he thought nothing had changed, then he noticed our big losses on the ATT :D I'm very glad that blip didn't destroy our activity, it could easily have gone downhill from there.

So we didn't naturally have it easy. It was only through bombing (points were too high, it's good that they've been nerfed) that we caught up again. Nice to have more reppers too. I'm glad that Fwiffo and Faulcon's original cloakers were converted into more useful ships ;) Turning point was that fight with Krils in Roids, which I didn't plan and didn't want. I remember it was a Saturday lunchtime and I was out meeting a friend. We had moved up to Apollo overnight but I didn't want to fight Jax in Ajaxus. I sent a message to everyone apologising that we were stuck between a rock and a hard place and we had to fight our way through Roids to get home :D Not much of a response on a weekend so I thought it was a bad idea, but thankfully with enough notice and AP, we all piled in. The Krils at that stage maybe had slightly more firepower than us, or we were very equal, so it was essentially a game of chicken. Thankfully we had the advantage with PDS and it broke the Krils, so we were back on top. From then on, the Jax seemed to gain in activity and were our main rivals.

There was a time when we could have killed precruiser Durandal in Ajaxus when the Jax only had one carrier. Lucky for them, they were about to have a second carrier, so it wasn't worth the effort and risk. I think that's when we went across the map to Tibrar, against conventional wisdom.

Later on, jumping back from Tibrar facing potentially three legions in our base was pretty scary (Jhyphi warned me against precisely that ;)). I was prepared to lose our precruisers to a NAP because that's how things go. When I saw the Jax jump out at tick change, I was so relieved and surprised, sending a comm saying "WAIT WHAT LOLZ?!" or something to that effect :P After that, it was an easy ride for us to dominate, but I think I did become too nurturing towards our ships and didn't want to lose a single one in battle (esp our new fighters) when we were waiting around for our two reppers to reach carriers.

For the time we lost Devilishly, we probably should have stayed at least one tick to fight in Ajaxus but I felt we weren't on full health and the intention was always to jump out. Too late to change the autopilot orders as well. It was unfortunate to lose Devilishly but he didn't read the LN before he moved 5 times that tick. Instead of a hard fight in Ajaxus trading ships, I decided on going to PK instead, especially since the Krils were in Tibrar.

I do regret that we didn't have more fights, but I find base fights unnecessary when there are other smarter choices. I didn't want to lose the ships we had built up and be in a weaker position incase the Krils and Jax NAPed. After PK, the Tibs were on our side because they disliked Jax, so the ending was a forgone conclusion. Without the Tibs (obviously I'd be a fool to refuse their help, politics are in this game for a reason), it would have been a pretty hard fight in Ajaxus... not sure we could have taken it down with a strong active force defending it, especially without Devilishly's cruiser and Zypher's cruiser on vac. The Tibs had built up for a force of level 4 bombers, so they could easily have been chipping away at Boraxus while we were trading ships with Jax. In the end, the smallest legion decided the outcome of the game, hence the reason I helped them out as the biggest legion!

Autopilot was vital to our success, but sometimes counterproductive when I wanted to change my mind - LCs use with caution! =)